State of Alabama Certification Program for Hot Mix Asphalt Technicians
Radiation Safety, Roadway Technology and Asphalt Level I – Laboratory Technician
Please Contact NCAT-Auburn – Contact Don Watson (334-844-6228) at National Center for Asphalt Technology (NCAT) for course details.
Asphalt Level III: Mix Design Technician, April 2-6, 2018 ALDOT Materials and Tests Classroom, Montgomery
Asphalt Level II: Quality Management Technician, April 30- May3, 2018 ALDOT Materials and Tests Classroom, Montgomery
Please Contact the AAPA Office (334-834-5314) for Course Details.
- Radiation Safety: A one day course designed to train personnel in the safe handling techniques for using radioactive materials. Topics covered are health hazards of radioactive materials, pertinent rules and regulations of the Radiological Safety manual and the State of Alabama Radiation Protection Regulations published by the State of Alabama Department of Pubic Health, Bureau of Environmental Health, and the Manufacturer’s instructions for the gauge being used. This course is a prerequisite to Roadway Technology and Asphalt Level I training.
- Roadway Technology: Training consists of 2 to 3 day classroom and laboratory sessions. Technician must have successfully completed the Radiation Safety course. The technician must demonstrate the ability to operate a nuclear density gauge and be capable of performing thin layer gauge calibrations under the supervision of a certified Level II technician. The technician must also understand random sampling as well as paving operations.
- Asphalt Level I – Laboratory Technician: Licensing by the State Health Department to operate nuclear gauges (Radiation Safety) and Aggregate Technician certification are prerequisites for Level I training. Level I training consists of 5 days of classroom and laboratory training covering sampling, testing, and analysis of HMA specimens. The technician must properly perform HMA testing in the presence of a qualified evaluator and/or instructor approved by the Department of Transportation and pass a written examination administered by the Department of Transportation.
- Asphalt Level II – Quality Management Technician: Roadway Technology and Level I certification are prerequisites for Quality Management Technician (Level II) training. In addition, the candidate must complete 4 days of training covering basic mix design principles, asphalt plant operations, Alabama’s HMA specifications, and statistical analysis of test results. A Quality Management Technician may perform all the duties of both a Laboratory Technician (Level I) and a Roadway Technician. Additionally, a Quality Management Technician is able to improve HMA quality by using statistical analysis of test results and changing the asphalt plant operations. The Quality Management Technician must pass a written examination administered by the Department of Transportation.
- Asphalt Level III – Mix Design Technician: Laboratory (Level I) certification is a prerequisite for Mix Design (Level III) training. In addition, the candidate must complete 5 days of classroom and laboratory training covering Alabama’s HMA specification and mix design procedures. A Mix Design Technician may perform all the duties of a Laboratory Technician (Level I). Additionally, a Mix Design Technician is able to design HMA job mix formulas according to Alabama’s specifications to be used on all Department of Transportation projects. A Mix Design Technician must pass a written examination administered by the Department of Transportation and demonstrate the ability to design a HMA job mix formula that meets all the Alabama’s specifications using materials selected by the Department evaluator.